Sunday 1 April 2012

April Fool's DaY FoR Me

Every year I look forward to the 1st of April but not for the conventional reasons of playing practical jokes on other people. It’s the day I celebrate the greatest Dad ever (that sounds cliché but it’s the truth)
As a child, I remember racing to the door daily screaming “Daddy is back” just before throwing myself  at him, never doubting the fact that my daddy will catch me and give me the goodies he always brought back.
The only threat that ‘held any water’ and I never got tired of using on anyone who dared offend me was ‘I’ll tell my daddy for you’ for in my mind and heart he was my Superman and he’ll surely get the bad guys ;)
My dad gave me an important gift. He taught me how to write, especially essays and how to use big words like ‘eradicate’, ‘tautology’ and ‘relegate’. He also gave me the freedom to express myself.
He is the only person authorized to give me nicknames that stick and he loves to oblige me by making use of this privilege frequently. Just last month he added a new one to the collection.
I can never forget the day my dad gave me a lesson on logic stating ‘we were age mates’ because the first time I saw him was also the first time he saw me thus making us equals.
He taught me about ‘inward beauty’. One fateful day after spending hours in the salon making my hair, I came home to ask my dad, “How do I look?” He smiled and told me Igbo proverb… ‘The beauty/goodness of a peacock is not its colorful feathers but in the meat inside.’
My dad respects my opinion and has always made it a point of duty to discuss ‘big people’ things with me. Nowadays he calls me ‘my fellow graduate’ to further reinstate the value of my opinion.
Just calling my dad and hearing him say ‘my darling daughter’ as soon as he sees the caller ID has a way of brightening my day and reminding me that I’m loved. For to him, I’ll always be his adorable little girl.
So on this day I celebrate
My ‘CATCHER’
My SUPERMAN
My TEACHER
My NICK NAME GIVER
My LOGIC TEACHER/AGEMATE
My FELLOW GRADUATE
My FRIEND
My CARE GIVER
My FATHER, My LOVE
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD




With Love,
Cee

12 comments:

  1. Wow. Your dad is worth having as a dad by most girls. He sure gives a healthy view of what a man should be like. Happy birthday to him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Tis so nice, you have every reason to celebrate because it's not every girl or guy that has this kind of testimony of a role model for a father. Happy Birthday Daddy Chisom. This is so lovely.
    Well don't forget to follow my blog too. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like my dad, your dad is simply awesome! Happy belated birthday to him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, me too i want my Dad :( Great post. Great Dads produce amazing daughters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay thats right :)! Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaww, I can so relate to this post 'cos my dad (may he continue to rest in peace) was my hero, my mentor....
    100 Gbosas to the great dads of this world!
    And one more to Cee's Dad! lol!
    May he live long to see your children and their children too. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ooo! 100 Gbosas to the great dads of this world! (those with us physically and those with us in spirit)

      Amen and a big thank you :)!

      Delete
  7. he must be your hero!

    Happy birthday (belated) to your dad!!!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus